Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Whidden Road farm

For the time being I live and have my being on a 5 acre farm on Whidden Road east of town. Having grown up on a working farm as well as having spent most of my adult life on a farm or in a rural setting, I feel very comfortable here in this little spot of paradise in Florida. There are 4 adult Pygmy goats, one of which had a set of twins two weeks ago. I was granted the honor of naming them. The girl is Heather and the boy is named Roger. Since the mother had not yet been named I gave her the name of Nellie. I have 4 chickens and a rooster here. Two of the chickens are brown and two are white. One of the chickens has commenced laying an egg , after a winter hiatus. The rooster is a very colorful creature. Yesterday he escaped from the pasture into the main yard. Jimmy, the dog gave chase, until the rooster in desperation finally took flight across the pond. Alas, he had miscalculated his flying abilities and landed in the water a few feet off shore. I now know that roosters CAN swim, having personally witnessed this feat firsthand! Then there are also the 3 indoor/outdoor cats. The senior of the lot is white, stone deaf, and blind in one eye. He likes to nap all day on the barn roof. The other two are an orange tabby, and a totally black cat. The fun they can have with a simple brown paper grocery bag is amazing! Yesterday I spent more time in my garden, weeding and maintenance. I transplanted 24 strawberry plants into a rectangular bed. They look happy! Over the weekend I spent time in the sewing room taking a number of projects to another level, so that they would be easy to pick up at any time this week and move right along. I've had a number of sales on eclecticarmadillo. Getting a better sense of what to list for future sales. Very soon I will have a half a dozen Cathedral Window wallhangings ready to list on sarahsquiltsncrafts. Time to go make a pot of lentil and carrot stew for lunch! Enjoy the day! Sarah

No comments: