Friday, March 15, 2013

Love of Linens

When we were young my grandmother told us how they used to make clothing and household items with Linen fabric. They used flax that they grew, and processed. The two natural dyes that I remember her talking about were poke berries for purple, and walnut hulls for brown. It took me a quite a number of years to develop a love and respect for linens.

Rayon is something that I for years mistook for a synthetic fabric. I was delighted to discover otherwise!

Rayon is a manufactured regenerated cellulose fiber. Because it is produced from naturally occurring polymers, it is neither a truly synthetic fiber nor a natural fiber; it is a semi-synthetic[1] or artificial[2] fiber. Rayon is known by the names viscose rayon and art silk in the textile industry. It usually has a high luster quality giving it a bright sheen. For more about Rayon see my source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon
 Zafu made with Repurposed Linen/Rayon

Subtle Beauty in Tan with Mauve Flowers
Tiny Zipper Coin Purse

Tiny Scraps Make Tiny Purses!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Nice fabric. I didn't know all that about rayon.
I wonder if I've ever sewn with linen. I don't recall.