Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homemade Baking Soda Biscuits and Coasters

Munching away on a warm, freshly baked, Baking Soda Biscuit while the Lentil Stew is finishing up....I don't care what anybody says...in my house soda biscuits can be eaten any time of day or night - plain, or with homemade pear butter, or store bought grape jelly. See biscuit recipe below...
Deep Cinnamon Paisley and Orange Red Batik Coasters

Both coaster sets are available at ArlingtonStSRQ on etsy...see the right sidebar widget.
Victorian Roses and Spring Green Coasters
Lentil Stew with Carrots and Chunks of Turkey Burgers

Baking Soda Biscuits
The good things in life are meant to be shared so here is the Baking Soda Biscuit recipe:

Baking Soda Biscuits:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder ( no al u min i um)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 TBLSP. olive oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk

Preheat stove to 400 degrees. Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk all at once. Stir until dough follows fork or spoon around the bowl. Turn onto a floured board and knead 1/2 minute. Roll out 3/8 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. ( I use a knife or anything sharp - no biggie) Bake on ungreased sheet at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. This makes 2 dozen biscuits 1 inch in diameter. ( This makes about 7-8 of the size shown in my photo. Live large is what I say!)

I'm sure my bowl of stew has cooled off sufficiently for me to eat.

2 comments:

AkasaWolfSong said...

Sarah...I copied the biscuit recipe and am going to give it a try...I love biscuits with soup or stews. This one's so simple! :) I've been eyeballing my split peas this morning to make something so perhaps this is just the ticket to get started, lol.
Love the coasters by the way!

Namaste'

Sarah said...

Good luck...as you noticed it is a simple recipe, and quick and easy to make!

Thank you for loving the coasters! I've had a few sales for them so far, and love making them.

Namaste...