Monday, April 18, 2016

what am I? what is the real me?

Siesta Key beach, Sarasota Fl.
You have experienced moments in your life, whether or not you are aware of them, when you momentarily forgot the "I" with which you have been identified. It can happen spontaneously at a beautiful sight, or it can occur from egoic forgetfulness. People usually discount these moments.
After experiencing the "nice moment," you then reconstitute your familiar sense of identity. But actually these opportunities are like little peepholes through which the truth is experienced. If you start to watch for them, you will notice them. All of a sudden the mind will stop thinking of its story.
You might notice that your separate identity or sense of a me just took a break, and whatever you truly are didn't disappear. Then ask yourself, "What is the real me? If my identity can take a break and I don't disappear, what am I then?" or rather, "What am I when I do disappear?"
- Adyashanti, Emptiness Dancing
 
~posted by the owner and sewist behind zafuChi - an online source of USA made zafu meditation cushions

No comments: